Shining bright at LIGHTFAIR International
Covestro material solutions and technologies spot on for LED lighting applications
The market for LED lighting continues to grow, which is not surprising since the next generation of lamps and luminaires provides a multitude of advantages including lower energy costs, longer service life and excellent performance. To meet these needs, Covestro offers a portfolio of polycarbonate resin, sheet and film materials for LED lighting applications that satisfies a variety of design and performance requirements.
At booth #4330 during LIGHTFAIR International, May 9-11 in Philadelphia, Covestro will showcase its materials, technologies and design services for the lighting value chain.
High-performance polycarbonate resins
Covestro’s portfolio of polycarbonate resins and blends provides heat resistance, stability, flame retardancy and a number of special features ideal for a range of LED components, including lenses, reflectors, heat sinks and housings.
- For lenses and secondary optics, Covestro will highlight its family of
Makrolon® LED polycarbonate grades, including Makrolon® LED2643 polycarbonate and Makrolon® LED2247 polycarbonate. These ultraviolet (UV) stabilized materials provide improved retention of optical properties after heat, UV and LED exposure when compared with standard grades.
- Covestro’s reflective white (RW) polycarbonate grades offer high efficiency in reflecting visible light. These materials can be injection molded into almost any shape, allowing a high degree of design freedom. Both Makrolon® RW6265X polycarbonate and Makrolon® RW6267X polycarbonate are flame-retardant, low-viscosity grades with easy release and a UL 94 rating of V-0 at 1.5 mm. Makrolon® RW6267X polycarbonate is also UV stabilized.
- For crucial heat management applications, Covestro produces a line of thermally conductive (TC) polycarbonate grades that provide thermal management coupled with design freedom and lighter weight than metals. Used in heat sinks, Makrolon® TC8010 polycarbonate has a thermal conductivity of 10 W/m•K. Makrolon® TC8030 polycarbonate features increased thermal conductivity of 22 W/m•K. Both grades have a UL 94 rating of V-0 at 2.0 mm with a f1 listing
Design freedom with polycarbonate sheets
‘In addition to polycarbonate injection molding resins, a variety of polycarbonate sheet products for use in luminaires and outdoor lighting applications will be on display. Durable polycarbonate sheet provides energy efficiency without sacrificing design freedom.
- Makrolon® Lumen XT polycarbonate sheet utilizes a textured surface along with advanced diffusion technology to eliminate hot spots. With a variety of diffusion levels and both warm (LW) or cool (LC) hues, it provides designers with flexibility to maximize both the aesthetics and performance of light fixtures.
- Makrolon® DX-NR polycarbonate sheet, specifically designed for use as a lighting lens in outdoor applications, offers advanced UV-resistance technology for long-lasting weather resistance.
Polycarbonate films for light management
Covestro offers an extensive portfolio of innovative films for light management. These films are available in a variety of surface finishes and thicknesses for diffusing, guiding and reflecting light, appropriate for lamp shades and covers for ceiling lamps, mixing boxes and reflectors for down lights and diffuser lenses for LED strips.
- Makrofol® LM polycarbonate films provide high transparency, break resistance and a heat-deflection temperature of up to 135 C. This line of diffuser films features translucent products with a high light scatter as well as highly transparent materials with a low light scatter. These films convert the point-shaped light from LEDs into even, whole-surface light. Covestro also provides specialty films, including lenticular films that can be used in conjunction with a finely imprinted grid of lenses to direct light as a function of the angle and optically merge the points of light from individual LEDs into a band.
- Covestro will feature Makrofol® DE 1-4 060023, which is optimized to be most stable against LED light. This translucent, UV-stabilized film features lower yellowness index and haze while retaining higher light transmission than standard Makrofol® DE grades. The film offers high glow wire test results and is UL 94 V-2 rated.
LIGHTFAIR International attendees are encouraged to stop by booth #4430 to learn more about Covestro’s broad portfolio of materials and technologies, including the opportunity to see several real-world applications utilizing Covestro’s materials for lighting on display.
About Covestro LLC:
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business with 2016 sales of EUR 11.9 billion. Covestro manufactures high-tech polymer materials and develops innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, electrical and electronics, construction, medical and sports and leisure industries. The Covestro group has 30 production sites around the globe and employed approximately 15,600 people at the end of 2016.
Find more information at www.covestro.com, www.plastics.covestro.com, www.sheets.covestro.com or www.films.covestro.com.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available on the Covestro website at www.covestro.com. Covestro assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Makrolon® and Makrofol® are registered trademarks of Covestro Group.
Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CovestroGroup